Ravindra Samaraweera (Image 1), born in 1956, is known as a “landed proprietor”, a businessman and a politician in Sri Lanka. Samaraweera, from Badulla district, represents the United National Party, the main right-wing political party in Sri Lanka.
Political/Government Positions held
- Member of Parliament since 1989-2010, 2015-2019 
- State Minister of Labour and Trade Union Relations 2015-2018 
- Minister of Wildlife and Sustainable Development 2018 Feb-2018 May 
- Minister of Labour and Trade Union Relations 2018 May-To date 
Tobacco Related Activities
- A proposal presented to the cabinet by the Minister of Health in September 2018 to ban single stick cigarette sales was opposed by this Minister. Due to the objections raised by him and three other Cabinet Ministers – Mangala Samaraweera, Kabir Hashim and Harin Fernando – it did not receive cabinet approval.
Tobacco Unmasked Resources
Other relevant TobaccoUnmasked entries:
- The Proposal to Ban Single Stick Cigarettes Sales in Sri Lanka
- Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC)
- FCTC Article 16
- Parliament of Sri Lanka Hon. Ravindra Samaraweera, M.P, Accessed January 2019.
- F Jayawardena. Staff who don’t serve people honestly must be transferred, Daily News, 12 July 2018, accessed January 2019
- Adaderana.lk New State and Deputy Ministers sworn in 9 September 2015, Accessed January 2019
- Y.Ariff Live Updates: Cabinet reshuffle adaderana.lk, 25 February 2018, Accessed January 2019
- Y.Ariff New Cabinet sworn in 1 May 2018, Accessed January 2019
- D.Liyanage. No ban on single stick cigarettes sales Daily Mirror, 17 September 2018, Accessed January 2019