Welcome to Tobacco Unmasked
Tobacco Unmasked (tobaccounmasked.lk) is the information portal of the Centre for Combating Tobacco (CCT). It contains evidence based information on the tobacco industry, with detailed profiles of tobacco companies relevant to Sri Lanka and their employees. The pages of this website also contain profiles of tobacco industry allies; institutions and individuals linked with the industry in various ways.
tobaccounmasked.lk describes strategies adopted by the tobacco industry in the themes of influencing policy, tobacco tax & price related issues, corporate social investments, tobacco cultivation and marketing and promotion. Tobacco industry arguments and their responses against different policy processes are reported as a learning exercise for future reference.
How to Find Information on Tobacco Unmasked
There are three ways in which you can find information on tobaccounmasked.lk:
- You can search for a specific topic in the Search Bar on the top of the screen. To search, type the topic you want to find the information into the box, and press 'Enter'.
- If its a recent issue, you can go through the list of most recent pages in the ‘What’s New section’ which will display new entries or major updates to the existing pages.
- Or, you can search through the ‘Key Topics’ section that categorizes the pages based on the themes the investigations were conducted.
CCT is the Sri Lankan tobacco observatory established at the Faculty of Medicine University of Colombo under the Article 5.3 of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC). The aim of the CCT is to monitor the tobacco industry activities related to implementation of Article 5.3 in Sri Lanka and the region.
Our implementation partners include; Alcohol and Drug Information Centre (ADIC), National Authority on Tobacco and Alcohol(NATA)Sri Lanka and the Expert Committee on Tobacco, Alcohol and Illicit Drugs of the Sri Lanka Medical Association (SLMA).
The project was powered by Framework Convention on Tobacco Control(FCTC)Secretariat and the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease and technical assistance was provided by the Tobacco Control Research Group, University of Bath and the Centre for Tobacco Control Research and Education, University of California San Fransisco.
What’s New on Tobacco Unmasked?
Click on the key topics below to access more information on tobacco industry and its activities in Sri Lanka.
Includes pages on global and national tobacco control laws and policies
- FCTC – Framework Convention on Tobacco Control and it’s articles
- NATA – National Authority on Tobacco and Alcohol Act
Includes pages directly related to the tobacco industry under following themes;
Individuals and Institutions Linked to the Tobacco Industry
Includes pages on individuals or institutions linked to the tobacco industry under following themes;
- Commissioned or Sponsored – Individuals or institutions commissioned or sponsored by the tobacco industry
- Consultants – Individuals or institutions with a history of provision of consultancy services to the tobacco industry
- Indirect Links – Individuals or institutions sponsored or commissioned by institutions directly linked to the tobacco industry
- Institutions with Mutual Associates - Institutions in which Directors/employees of tobacco industry are Directors/employees/members
- Institutions Governed by Tobacco Industry – Institutions in which executive positions are assigned to tobacco industry employees or directors as a representative of the tobacco industry
- Tobacco Industry Investors - Major shareholders or investors of tobacco companies operating in Sri Lanka
Tobacco Industry Activities
Includes pages on tobacco industry actions and strategies under following themes;
- activities themed as ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’ actions of the tobacco industry or a subsidiary
- sponsorship of social events by the industry or its employees (using the company name and/or the title)
- any other sponsorship by the tobacco industry or its employees (using the company name and/or the title)
Tobacco Industry Arguments and Responses
Includes pages on responses and reactions of the tobacco industry under following themes;
Strict Referencing Policy
Information published in tobaccounmasked.lk adheres to a strict referencing policy. You can find the sources of information under the resources list at the end of each post. The posts developed by reporters are edited by the Editor and peer reviewed before publication.
Reproduction and Distribution of Published Material
You are free to copy and redistribute the material for non commerical use with appropriate credit to the CCT. Please acknowledge CCT as the copyright holder by stating: "This material is reproduced from tobaccounmasked.lk. Copyright, Centre for Combating Tobacco and used under permission of the Centre for Combating Tobacco. All rights reserved."
Suggested citation: Centre for Combating Tobacco, Faculty of Medicine University of Colombo. TobaccoUnmasked, 2017, Available at http://tobaccounmasked.lk/index.php?title=Main_Page, Accessed (date accessed).
You can contribute by providing information or as a free-lance investigative reporter. We also welcome your feedback and suggestions to improve tobaccounmasked.lk. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org