Lakmali Gunawardena Nanayakkara was a Chartered Accountant and a Non-Executive Director of the Ceylon Tobacco Company (CTC) from 2002 to 2006. She was referred to as “an highly sought after tax professional” in local media.
Nanayakkara was married to Mano Nanaykkara and had a one daughter. Nanayakkara passed away in May 2013, “under tragic circumstances” according to the obituary notice published in local media. Her memorial lecture, hosted by the Sri Lanka Institute of Chartered Accountants on 6th September 2013, was delivered by PB Jayasundara, the then Secretary to the Treasury and Ministry of Finance and Planning.
The Employment History with the Tobacco Industry
Positions in Government Institutions held simultaneously
She was a Director of Bank of Ceylon and a member of the Sri Lanka Accounting and Auditing Standards Monitoring Board. She was also a member of the Sri Lanka Chartered Accountants Statutory Accounting Standards Committee. In a letter of appreciation in the local media a former colleague reported Nanayakkara “was often consulted when fiscal policy reforms were initiated by Government”.
Positions in Government Institutions held prior or after the Tobacco Industry Employment
None reported as of June 2017
Positions/Memberships in other (Non-government) Institutions
Major part of Nanayakkara’s carrier was with Ernst & Young Sri Lanka, which ended in 2012 as she retired “prematurely” to “embark on studying Psychology”. The private corporations and other associations in which she held high ranked positions are mentioned below:
- Partner & Head of Tax Practice (1998 – 2012) – Ernst & Young Sri Lanka | Ernst & Young
- She joint Ernst & Young Sri Lanka | Ernst & Young in 1979 and reportedly was the youngest female partner of the firm.
- Council Member – Council of the Institute of Chartered Accountants Sri Lanka
- Chairperson – Taxation Committee of the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce She reportedly served in several committees of Ceylon Chamber of Commerce.
- Alternate Chairperson – Sri Lanka Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Fellow – Chartered Institute of Management Accountants of the United Kingdom (FCMA).
- Non-Executive Director - Chemanex Ltd
- Non-Executive Director - Lanka ORIX Leasing Company Ltd
- Non-Executive Director - Delmege Forsyth & Company (Exports) Ltd
- Non-Executive Director - Delmege Insurance Brokers (Private) Ltd
Other relevant TobaccoUnmasked entries:
- Ceylon Tobacco Company, Annual Report 2002, 2003, accessed June 2017
- DailyFT. Dr. PB to deliver CA Sri Lanka Lakmali Nanayakkara memorial lecture on Friday, 4 September 2013, accessed June 2017
- Sunday Times Sri Lanka. Obituaries, 19 May 2013, accessed June 2017
- S Samarasinghe. Meet Mahinda’s Man Friday, The Sunday Leader: Public Eye Investigation, 22 June …, accessed June 2017
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA). Women in leadership case studies, undated, accessed June 2017
- The Island. New Directors, Business, 08 February 2002, accessed June 2017
- Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC. Annual Report 2004. Colombo: CTC, 2005
- Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC. Annual Report 2005/2006. Colombo:CTC, 2007
- A Talwatte. An appreciation: Lakmali Nanayakkara, 3 June 2013, accessed June 2017