- 1 Background
- 2 Political/Government Positions held
- 3 Tobacco Related Activities
- 4 Tobacco Unmasked Resources
- 5 Notes
Gotabaya Rajapaksa, born on 20th June 1949 at Weerakatiya Sri Lanka, is a retired officer of the Sri Lanka Army, and a former Secretary to the Ministry of Defence and Urban Development of Sri Lanka.
He had the formal education at Ananda College, Colombo 10. He is the younger brother of the 6th President of Sri Lanka Mahinda Rajapaksa and the son of the parliamentarian and former Deputy Speaker of Parliament DA Rajapaksa. He has a Masters’ degree in Defence Studies from the University of Madras and a Postgraduate degree in Information Technology from the University of Colombo. Gotabaya served in the Sri Lanka Army through the early years of the country's civil war against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) and retired in 1992 after 20 years of service. He immigrated to the United States of America after his retirement and with the election of his brother Mahinda Rajapaksa as President of Sri Lanka, he returned and got appointed as the Secretary of Ministry of Defence and Urban Development.
- Sri Lanka Army - 1971–1992
- Deputy Commandant of Sir John Kotelawala Defence University – 1991 - 1992
- Secretary of Defense and Urban Development - November 2005 to January 2015
Tobacco Related Activities
For Construction of Police Stations
In July 2014 Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC), a subsidiary of the British American Tobacco (BAT), made a financial donation for the construction of a new Police station at Weerakatiya in the Hambanthota District. The donation was handed over to the Secretary of Defence despite police coming under the purview of Ministry of Law and Order (Image 2). According to the CTC annual Report 2013, that construction was done at the request of Ministry of Defence and was the third such police station constructed with CTC funds. Mankulam and Kilinochchi police stations being the first and the second, were in the Northern part of the country and Weerakatiya was the only station in Southern Sri Lanka reported to be reconstructed by CTC funds. For more details please visit the TobaccoUnmasked pages Weeraketiya Police Station and Reopening of Kilinochchi and Mankulam Police Stations.
For Construction of Army Welfare Shops
For Construction of 'Api Wenuwen Api' Cafeterias
'Api Wenuwen Api' is a fund for a housing project for military service men and women in Sri Lanka, implemented in collaboration with Ministry of Defence and the Central Bank of Sri Lanka. A cafeteria, affliated to 'Api Wenuwen Api', built at Madiwela, Colombo was declared open by Gotabaya as the Secretary of Defence and Urban Development on 05th November 2012 (Image 3). CEO of CTC James Yamanaka and CTC directors including Dinesh Dharmadasa were also present at the occasion.
Participation in CTC Events
A rest room for pilgrims at Girihandu Seya was constructed with financial aid from the Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC). Gotabaya was the Guest of Honor at its opening ceremony (Image 3 and 4). The construction of the pilgrims’ rest room was a combined project of the John Keells Holdings PLC (JKH) (John Keells Foundation) and CTC. Susantha Ratnayake was the chairman of both companies at the time. To read more visit the TobaccoUnmasked page Rest Room for Pilgrims at Girihandu Seya.
Tobacco Unmasked Resources
Other relevant TobaccoUnmasked entries:
- Ministry of Defence: Ministers and Officials
- Weeraketiya Police Station
- Rest Room for Pilgrims at Girihandu Seya.
- Dinesh Dharmadasa
- Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC)
- Susantha Ratnayake
- John Keells Holdings PLC (JKH)
- Reopening of Kilinochchi and Mankulam Police Stations
- Ministry of Defence Sri Lanka. Former Defence Secretaries, Accessed January 2019
- R Somarathna. Ananda Icons: Meteoric rise of Ananda's patriotic sons, Daily News, 3 July 2009, Accessed June 2019
- Singapore International Water Week Pte. Ltd. Speakers – Participants, Water leaders’ platform, 2007, Accessed June 2019
- NewsFirst.lk. [https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/08/11/slpp-national-convention-begins/ UPDATE: Gotabaya Rajapaksa named the Presidential candidate of SLPP, 11 August 2019, Accessed August 2019
- ColomboPage. SLPP names Gotabhaya Rajapaksa as presidential candidate, 11 August 2019, Accessed August 2019
- Daily FT MNCs extend support for ‘Api Wenuwen Api’ fund, 6 July 2013, Accessed January 2019
- Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC. Annual Report 2014, Accessed January 2019
- Ministry of Defence Sri Lanka Website. CTC assists for the new police station in Weeraketiya accessed on 04 October 2018
- Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC. Annual Report 2016, 2017, Accessed January 2019
- Ministry of Defence and Urban Development 'Api Wenuwen Api' cafeteria opens for public, Accessed January 2019
- Ministry of Defense and urban Development, ‘Api Wenuwen Api’ cafeteria opens for public, 5 November 2012, Accessed August 2018
- Asian Tribune. Secretary Defence declares opens Pilgrims Rest at Girihandu Seya, 21 July 2014, assessed August 2017
- The Island. Secretary Defence declares open Pilgrims Rest at Girihandu Seya,27 July 2014, assessed August 2017
- K.A.D Fonseka. Commemorative plaque, 02 October 2015, assessed December 2017
- Ministry of Defence and Urban Development Sri Lanka. Secretary Defence Declares Open Pilgrims’ Rest at Girihandu Seya, 19 July 2014