Gangaramaya Temple Wesak Zone
Gangarama Wesak Zone, conducted at the heart of Colombo, consists of illuminating the surrounding buildings with lights and an exhibition zone displaying Wesak Lanterns made by different individuals and institutions including schools (Image 1). In 2017, it was conducted in collaboration with the Prime Minister’s Office.
Links to the Tobacco Industry
- In 2013, Independence Television Network (ITN), one of the two state media stations in Sri Lanka, reported that Dinesh Dharmadasa who is the corporate and regulatory affairs director of CTC, donated money to the Ganarama Wesak zone. Rev Kirinde Assaji Thero, in his thanking speech, highlighted the sponsorship given by the Ceylon tobacco company director Dinesh Dharmadasa.
- The sponsors’ list of the newspaper announcement on Gangarama Wesak Zone 2017 (Image 2) contained Arunadisi Traders Pvt. Ltd., the Colombo area distributers of Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC).
Gangaramaya Temple also collaborated with the Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC) in one of their Sustainable Agriculture Development Projects (SADP), Na Sevana Community Development Project.
Other relevant TobaccoUnmasked pages
- Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC)
- Prime Minister’s Office
- Sustainable Agriculture Development Programme (SADP)
- Na Sevana Community Development Project
- Arunadisi Traders Pvt. Ltd
- Pinterest. Gangarama Beira Lake at Vesak Festival at night, undated, accessed January 2017
- Sirasa TV. Sirasanamami Vesak Kalapaya, 03 May 2015, accessed March 2017
- GossipFirstGallery. Gangarama Wesak Kalapaya, 03 May 2015, accessed March 2017
- Buddha Rashmi Organizing Committee. Jaathika Wesak Mangalya 2017: Punyanumodana, Lankadeepa, 17 May 2017
- Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC. CTC Annual Report 2014, 2015, accessed March 2017
- D Dharmadasa, LinkedIn Profile, Undated, accessed March 2017
- Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC. Annual Report 2016, 2017, accessed May 2017