CTC International Relations: Papua New Guinea
Papua New Guinea (PNG), is the Eastern half of the island of New Guinea. It was ruled by Australia from 1902 to 1975, until it declared independence. The population is over 6.7 Million, of which the majority (87%) lives in rural areas. With an estimated Gross Domestic Product per capita (based on purchasing power parity) of USD 3,500, it was ranked 184 of 230 in 2016 (
Tobacco in Papua New Guinea
According to the Tobacco Atlas country fact sheet prevalence of daily smoking is 51.2% and 21.5% among men and women respectively. The same fact sheet reports that 52.1% boys and 35.8% of girls are daily tobacco users in Papua New Guinea. The country was ranked among the highest smoking 10 nations in the year 2015.
Tobacco Industry in PNG
British American Tobacco (PNG) Limited, active in PNG from 1960s, is solely owned by the British American Tobacco Australasia. BAT holds a monopoly in cigarette manufacturing and distribution in PNG.
As reported in the Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka), the “international assignment is yet another company initiative to spearhead knowledge sharing and the distribution of proven strategies essential to the development of the wider British American Tobacco (BAT) network”. Quoted in the same report, CTC’s Chief Executive Officer and the Managing Director Michael Koest is “confident that Ramesh’s stint in Papua New Guinea will assist in implementing effective strategies that will help overcome operational challenges faced in the market”.
Other relevant CombatingTobacco entries:
- Papua New Guinea: Country Fact Sheet, Tobacco Atlas 2015
- CTC reiterates commitment to efficiency improvement across BAT network
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). East & Southeast Asia: Papua New Guinea, The World Fact Book, 12 January 2017, accessed February 2017
- Eriksen M, Mackay J, Schulaer N, et al. Papua New Guinea: Country Fact Sheet, Tobacco Atlas 2015, accessed February 2017
- Callik R. Papua New Guinea to crack down on rampant smoking, The Australian, 3 June 2015, accessed February 2017
- World Health Organization. Country Profile: Papua New Guinea, WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic, 2015, accessed February 2017
- British American Tobacco Australia. Our Area, undated, accessed February 2017
- British American Tobacco. Principal subsidiary undertakings, 2007, accessed February 2017
- Nanol F. PNG businesses slam flourishing black market trade, Radio Australia, 22 June 2009, accessed February 2017
- Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka). CTC reiterates commitment to efficiency improvement across BAT network, 6 September 2016, Press Reader, accessed February 2017