C. Premadasa, from Kegalle district, represents the United National Party, the main right-wing political party in Sri Lanka. According to the manthri.lk, a web page to rank the Members of Parliament in Sri Lanka, C. Premadasa’s engagement in topics of Trade and Industry is “average” and Economy and Finance is “poor”.
Links to the Tobacco Industry
C. Premadasa owns a beedi (a domestically produced smoking tobacco product) manufacturing company producing under the brand “Champika Beedi”. It is a component of Champika Group of Companies, registered as Champika Premadasa Private Limited, of which he is the current Chairman. Their other businesses include:
Political/Government Positions held
- Member of Provincial Council for Sabaragamuwa province
- Member of Pradeshiya Sabha for Rambuukkana
- Member of Parliament since 2000 – 2015
- Deputy Minister of Industry and Commerce 2015 – 2018
- State Minister of Power & Renewable Energy-2018 to present
Tobacco Related Activities
- In 2011, C. Premadasa criticized the government for not facilitating the beedi industry.
- In 2002, C. Premadasa participated in an opening of a Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC) sponsored Information Technology centre in Rambukkana.
Tobacco Unmasked Resources
The local language translations
- Parliament of Sri Lanka, Directory of Members, undated, accessed January 2018
- Manthri.lk, Champika Premadasa, undated, accessed January 2018
- Champika Printers, Website, undated, accessed January 2018
- Ministry of Industry and Commerce, Website, undated, accessed January 2018
- News.lk, Champika Premadasa – Industry and Commerce, undated, accessed January 2018
- Parliament of Sri Lanka, , undated, accessed February 2019
- Marasinghe S, Range I, Mudalige D. Cooperatives Ministry has made tremendous progress - Minister Johnston Fernando, 19 December 2011, Daily News online, accessed January 2018
- Perera G. CTC opens IT Centre at Rambukkana, 11 October 2002, accessed April 2018