Basil Rajapaksa, born in 1951, is a Sri Lankan politician. He had his secondary education at Isipathana and Ananda Colleges Colombo. Basil Rajapaksa has dual citizenships in Sri Lanka and in United States of America. He was a member of the Parliament from 2007 to 2015..
Basil Rajapaksa comes from a family with a background in politics. His father, D. A. Rajapaksa, was a member of the Parliament. As of 2019, three of his brothers, Chamal Rajapaksa, Mahinda Rajapaksa and Gotabaya Rajapaksa are active in Sri Lankan politics. Two of them, (Mahinda Rajapaksa and Gotabaya Rajapaksa, are elected Presidents and the other (Chamal Rajapaksa), has served as the Speaker of the Parliament.
Political positions held
- Minister of Economic Development (2010-2015)
- Member of Parliament from the national list (2007 - 2010).
- Senior advisor to the President Mahinda Rajapaksa (2005 – 2010).
Tobacco Related Activities
Participation in Events
Influencing Tobacco Control Policies
On 20th February 2015, when the National Authority on Tobacco and Alcohol (NATA) Act amendment on Pictorial Health Warnings (PHWs) was presented for the approval of the parliament, then Minister of Health Rajitha Senarathna revealed that Basil Rajapaksa had opposed the Pictorial Health Warnings and had not allowed the proposal to be tabled as a cabinet paper.
The aforementioned amendment to the NATA Act was necessary because Supreme Court ordered to reduce the size of the PHWs to 50% - 60% of the surface area of cigarette packs when Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC) took legal action against the Gazette issued by Minister of Health to implement PHWs covering 80% of the surface area of cigarette packs. CTC is the British American Tobacco (BAT) subsidiary in Sri Lanka with a monopoly to manufacture and trade cigarettes in Sri Lanka]]. Please refer to our page Ceylon Tobacco Legally Challenging Pictorial Health Warnings in Cigarette Packs for more details.
Tobacco Unmasked Resources
Other relevant TobaccoUnmasked entries:
- Ceylon Tobacco Company PLC (CTC)
- ITC Limited India
- Ceylon Tobacco Legally Challenging Pictorial Health Warnings in Cigarette Packs
- Mahinda Rajapaksa
- Gotabaya Rajapaksa
- Faisz Musthapha
The local language translations
- M Aravinda. Basil Rajapaksa Turning the wheel of change, Business Today, October 2009, accessed December 2019
- manthri.lk. Basil Rajapaksa 2013-2015, accessed January 2019
- The Famous People. Mahinda Rajapaksa Biography, undated, accessed March 2019
- Facebook. Basil Rajapaksa, undated, accessed November 2019
- Gotabaya Rajapaksa. Biography, undated, accessed November 2019
- Business Today Minister of Economic Development Basil Rajapaksa visits Central Bank of Sri Lanka undated, accessed January 2019
- U Amarasinghe, T Kahandawaarachchi. Basil Rajapaksa Turning the wheel of change, Business Today, October 2009, accessed December 2019
- Department of Government Information. Ground Breaking Ceremony of ITC Colombo One, News.lk, 21 November 2014, accessed May 2018
- ITC. Ground Breaking Ceremony of ITC Colombo One , 19 November 2014, accessed January 2019
- Parliament of Sri Lanka Hanzard: Parilament of Sri Lanka 20 February 2015, accessed January 2019